HOUSE OF JIGSAW 2

The ultimate community of fans for the SAW movie franchise by Lionsgate. This is the home for the most passionate fans of the highest grossing horror movie franchise of all time.

This forum is no longer supported, please visit www.houseofjigsaw2.com instead for the latest on the Saw series!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Info recap

Where will Saw: Legacy rank in the pantheon of Saw films?

15% 15% [ 2 ]
8% 8% [ 1 ]
15% 15% [ 2 ]
54% 54% [ 7 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
8% 8% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Info recap on 13/02/17, 12:43 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
Hi all,

Here is a brief recap of what we know so far about the movie:

Cast, crew, and general information.
> It's called SAW: LEGACY
> It's directed by Australian brothers Peter and Michael Spierig, of Predestination and Daybreakers fame.
> It's written by Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg, of Piranha 3D and Sorority Row fame.
> Josh Stolberg seemingly kissed Carrie Fischer once, which means he's probably pretty badass.
> Kevin Greutert, who worked on all Saw films and obviously knows what's up, is editing the film.
> The movie is produced by the same crew who own Saw or have been producing it since the beginning. Mark Burg, Oren Koules, Gregg Hoffman (RIP) who own the franchise are producing with their company Twisted Pictures. With Leigh Whannell and James Wan executive producing, and Peter Block and Dan Heffner from Lionsgate and A Bigger Boat taking on the producer roles on Lionsgate's side.
> Spierig bros brought on some of their usual crew, including their director of photography.
> Charlie Clouser is back to score the film, and wants to take a different approach to match the new directors' bold new style.

The movie stars:
> Laura Vandervoort, likely plays "Hannah".
>
Spoiler:
Lauren Beatty plays "Hannah's look-alike", which may or may not be a story twist.
> Mandela Van Peebles, likely plays "Mitch".
>
Spoiler:
James Gomez plays "Mitch's look-alike", which may or may not be a story twist.
> Tobin Bell, plays John Kramer aka Jigsaw.
> Matt Passmore, might play a cop or detective. Actor "hopes to be back next year."
> Callum Keith Rennie, might play a cop or detective.
> Josiah Black, likely plays a trap victim, possibly in a car + motorcycles death trap. Actor needed a stunt double.
> Hannah Emily Anderson
> Brittany Allen
> Michael Boisvert
> Shaquan Lewis, plays Officer Solomon.
> Attila Sebesy, plays SWAT breacher.
> Sonia Dhillon Tully, plays doctor.
> Christine Simpson may be back as Donna Evans, the show host from Saw 3D who interviewed Bobby Dagen. She could die in a trap.
> *Note that a lot of the original cast was unavailable to reprise their roles, but some of the more important ones are going to be back.

Story info:
> Jigsaw's grave has been defiled in the movie.
> One of the main locations of the movie is a barn. The directors and some of the crew visited a sheep herding farm before the shoot to get a good feel of a real location.
> One of the traps involves motorcycles and cars racing around in an abandoned warehosue with spike strips everywhere. Some cars and motorcycles explode, one motorcycle comes out fine.
> There is someone named Ryan in the movie. It is not John Cor's character.

Misc facts:
> Several exterior scenes were shot for the movie, including one at a house in a suburbian neighborhood, one shot at a park in Toronto, and one taking place in a woodsy area under a bridge.
> The movie is sort of a soft reboot, maybe, sort of, possibly.

Some set pics came out, the only one that really remains online at this point is this one:

Last edited by Vinc360 on 20/02/17, 03:34 pm; edited 3 times in total

2 Re: Info recap on 13/02/17, 08:33 am

MaximumMadness

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Is Kevin Greutert confirmed to edit? Haven't heard that.

View user profile

3 Re: Info recap on 13/02/17, 08:37 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
MaximumMadness wrote:Is Kevin Greutert confirmed to edit?  Haven't heard that.

Not confirmed. Most of the info you find in this thread is based on (very) educated guesses based on information you can find floating around online.

4 Re: Info recap on 13/02/17, 08:42 am

MaximumMadness

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Ah, okiedoke. Makes sense. Hopefully he is involved! Very Happy

View user profile

5 Re: Info recap on 15/02/17, 04:14 am

richr74

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Hey Guys, Decided to Join, I was a member of the old House of Jigsaw and also 'the official saw forum' back in the day. Very excited for another saw.

I noticed your cast includes possible cast members, do you not think Costas should be on there as I'm sure I read somewhere that on his instagram he posted a picture of him working out back in September and on that picture put #sawlegacy or #Hoffman or something along those lines unless you know something I don't?

View user profile

6 Re: Info recap on 15/02/17, 07:12 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
richr74 wrote:Hey Guys, Decided to Join, I was a member of the old House of Jigsaw and also 'the official saw forum' back in the day. Very excited for another saw.

I noticed your cast includes possible cast members, do you not think Costas should be on there as I'm sure I read somewhere that on his instagram he posted a picture of him working out back in September and on that picture put #sawlegacy or #Hoffman or something along those lines unless you know something I don't?

I wouldn't put much stock into that. He also said he hadn't heard of Legacy back when filming started, and he was reading some other script. He's not going to be in the movie.

7 Re: Info recap on 15/02/17, 10:09 am

richr74

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Vinc360 wrote:
richr74 wrote:Hey Guys, Decided to Join, I was a member of the old House of Jigsaw and also 'the official saw forum' back in the day. Very excited for another saw.

I wouldn't put much stock into that. He also said he hadn't heard of Legacy back when filming started, and he was reading some other script. He's not going to be in the movie.

Okay fair enough, although when you say "he's not going to be in the movie", is that fact or just your best guess?

Thought there may be at least a cameo appearance of him in the bathroom or something, I suppose they don't need Costas himself to portray a rotting corpse though even if they do decide to show you.

View user profile

8 Re: Info recap on 15/02/17, 10:18 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
richr74 wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:

Okay fair enough, although when you say "he's not going to be in the movie", is that fact or just your best guess?

Thought there may be at least a cameo appearance of him in the bathroom or something, I suppose they don't need Costas himself to portray a rotting corpse though even if they do decide to show you.

Some people who would know have hinted at the fact that Costas isn't back, but of course they could still use someone else to give him a cameo of sorts. I doubt it though, I expect the movie to be very much turned to the future of the series, rather than its past.

9 Re: Info recap on 16/02/17, 04:32 am

richr74

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Vinc360 wrote:
richr74 wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:

Some people who would know have hinted at the fact that Costas isn't back, but of course they could still use someone else to give him a cameo of sorts. I doubt it though, I expect the movie to be very much turned to the future of the series, rather than its past.

Have you read this anywhere or do you know people involved with production?

View user profile

10 Re: Info recap on 16/02/17, 08:11 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
I'm basing this off info you can find online publicly, but it's harder to find these days now that there's more people reporting on the movie. Lots of noise compared to how it was a few months ago. I found out the movie was about to enter production through a local film production site, then I was independently able to verify that the report was true. I didn't tell anyone for a bit, which meant it was very easy to find legitimate information on the film, since people online referring to anything that I could verify as legitimate had reasons to know other legitimate information.

11 Re: Info recap on 20/02/17, 04:23 pm

Jigsaw_Expert

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Damn, that filming pic. Let the endless speculation of every single pixel commence. Let me begin.

Hoffman confirmed. On another note someone speculated on another Saw forum about the film's plot. He said:
"What if it happened to be a copycat jigsaw killer. Perhaps Gordan gets involved or something, and it becomes a struggle for over Jigsaws legacy as this new guy was never properly tested."
A guy who claims that he worked on set quoted the theory saying "your a quarter right..". Now obviously this is just some guy who claims he's worked on set, nothing is confirmed but judging from his other posts he seems pretty genuine. Even if he is telling the truth his "your a quarter right" comment is pretty vague. Nevertheless, if anyone is as desperate as I am for even a snippet of info on this film this could be something to ponder. Will be interesting to reflect on the comment as we start to learn more and more about the story to see if it was accurate.

View user profile

12 Re: Info recap on 20/02/17, 11:44 pm

IanGibbons

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Jigsaw_Expert wrote:Damn, that filming pic. Let the endless speculation of every single pixel commence. Let me begin.

Hoffman confirmed. On another note someone speculated on another Saw forum about the film's plot. He said:
"What if it happened to be a copycat jigsaw killer. Perhaps Gordan gets involved or something, and it becomes a struggle for over Jigsaws legacy as this new guy was never properly tested."
A guy who claims that he worked on set quoted the theory saying "your a quarter right..". Now obviously this is just some guy who claims he's worked on set, nothing is confirmed but judging from his other posts he seems pretty genuine. Even if he is telling the truth his "your a quarter right" comment is pretty vague. Nevertheless, if anyone is as desperate as I am for even a snippet of info on this film this could be something to ponder. Will be interesting to reflect on the comment as we start to learn more and more about the story to see if it was accurate.

Splitting that whole theory into quarters, I'd assume it means there's a copycat killer. Being that this will be a soft-reboot, it makes a lot of sense. If I had to assume, I'd guess that it has to deal with another copycat that perhaps had something to do with John in the past. Maybe not even being a trap victim. Perhaps it could be something as simple as a former patient at Jill/John's clinic.

View user profile

13 Re: Info recap on 21/02/17, 08:41 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
From what I heard and found out, Costas Mandylor and Cary Elwes are not in the film. It is indeed about a copycat killer. We'll see though, I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

14 Re: Info recap on 21/02/17, 07:41 pm

IanGibbons

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Vinc360 wrote:From what I heard and found out, Costas Mandylor and Cary Elwes are not in the film. It is indeed about a copycat killer. We'll see though, I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

It's interesting, though. If he is indeed a copycat killer, I wonder why he interacts with John? Perhaps he longed to be an accomplice, or disciple, but John denied him? Because, if not, he's not really a copycat. Rather somebody merely carrying on the "Legacy."

View user profile

15 Re: Info recap on 22/02/17, 07:14 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
IanGibbons wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:From what I heard and found out, Costas Mandylor and Cary Elwes are not in the film. It is indeed about a copycat killer. We'll see though, I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

It's interesting, though. If he is indeed a copycat killer, I wonder why he interacts with John? Perhaps he longed to be an accomplice, or disciple, but John denied him? Because, if not, he's not really a copycat. Rather somebody merely carrying on the "Legacy."

I actually doubt he will interact with John as I was specifically told it was a copycat and not an apprentice. I think the Tobin Bell flashbacks are more likely to come from the cops investigating, as I'm pretty sure the copycat's identity will be kept secret throughout the film.

16 Re: Info recap on 22/02/17, 09:25 am

Jigsaw_Expert

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Vinc360 wrote:I actually doubt he will interact with John as I was specifically told it was a copycat and not an apprentice.
I really hope this is the case. The Saw timeline is convoluted enough as it is, how many more times can they reveal yet another person was secretly working with Jigsaw all along? To be honest even with Hoffman I felt as if they were pushing it but to their credit reflecting on the series with the V and VI flashbacks in mind Hoffman feels pretty well integrated into the series lore. Especially after the Doctor G revelation I really cant fathom them shoehorning in yet another secret apprentice. I can definitely get behind a brand new character / copycat killer being the primary antagonist for this new series.

Also Vince, you seem to be in the know here. Do you know if there definitely is not some sort of Jigsaw cult continuing the murders? Ever since I heard the title of this one I've been concerned that's the angle they'd be going with. I'm not a fan of this idea in the slightest, just wondering if you heard anything that can put my fears to rest for certain.

View user profile

17 Re: Info recap on 22/02/17, 09:48 am

IanGibbons

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
I'm for having a copycat if the character is actually interesting. I can't deal with having another Hoffman-like figure. Costas gave a really horrendous performance that had the weight of a grain of rice. Don't get me started on Betsy Russell. I may be putting way too much into this though. Being that there's only 2 or 3 good Saw films out of 7.

View user profile

18 Re: Info recap on 22/02/17, 09:53 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
Jigsaw_Expert wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:I actually doubt he will interact with John as I was specifically told it was a copycat and not an apprentice.
I really hope this is the case. The Saw timeline is convoluted enough as it is, how many more times can they reveal yet another person was secretly working with Jigsaw all along? To be honest even with Hoffman I felt as if they were pushing it but to their credit reflecting on the series with the V and VI flashbacks in mind Hoffman feels pretty well integrated into the series lore. Especially after the Doctor G revelation I really cant fathom them shoehorning in yet another secret apprentice. I can definitely get behind a brand new character / copycat killer being the primary antagonist for this new series.

Also Vince, you seem to be in the know here. Do you know if there definitely is not some sort of Jigsaw cult continuing the murders? Ever since I heard the title of this one I've been concerned that's the angle they'd be going with. I'm not a fan of this idea in the slightest, just wondering if you heard anything that can put my fears to rest for certain.

I honestly always thought the apprentice thing was a little too unbelievable for my taste, even with Amanda. Hoffman was just ridiculous to me, though I still managed to enjoy most of the sequels despite that. A copycat makes a lot more sense to me, I just don't buy that people who are put in a death trap can then decide to help out the man who put them there.

I don't know anything about the cult idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the copycat doesn't work alone, as much as I would hate that myself.

I frankly just want this movie to be simple and not too obsessed with a convoluted backstory. I hope the copycat is just a crazy, twisted, self-righteous asshole in the same way Jigsaw himself originally was. Jigsaw used to be a despicable asshole that also happened to be fascinating and smart, but the whole apprentice stuff basically tried to make you feel sympathetic towards that group of people that was already quite cult-like. I want to root for the victims for sure, as I feel the sequels lost their way and ended up losing what made Saw good in the first place.

People want to relate to the victims and think "what would I do in their situation". That's what made Saw good. I hope they recognize that with this one........ but from what I found, they don't. We'll see.

19 Re: Info recap on 22/02/17, 09:21 pm

IanGibbons

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Vinc360 wrote:
Jigsaw_Expert wrote:

I honestly always thought the apprentice thing was a little too unbelievable for my taste, even with Amanda. Hoffman was just ridiculous to me, though I still managed to enjoy most of the sequels despite that. A copycat makes a lot more sense to me, I just don't buy that people who are put in a death trap can then decide to help out the man who put them there.

I don't know anything about the cult idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the copycat doesn't work alone, as much as I would hate that myself.

I frankly just want this movie to be simple and not too obsessed with a convoluted backstory. I hope the copycat is just a crazy, twisted, self-righteous asshole in the same way Jigsaw himself originally was. Jigsaw used to be a despicable asshole that also happened to be fascinating and smart, but the whole apprentice stuff basically tried to make you feel sympathetic towards that group of people that was already quite cult-like. I want to root for the victims for sure, as I feel the sequels lost their way and ended up losing what made Saw good in the first place.

People want to relate to the victims and think "what would I do in their situation". That's what made Saw good. I hope they recognize that with this one........ but from what I found, they don't. We'll see.

Right. I doubt they'll learn their lesson, nor do I expect them to. From my perspective, Burg/Koules and company are just looking to stick their foot back into the water to earn back some relevance. That "relevance" being $$$. If I were to guess, from their point-of-view, they looked at the most successful entries in the franchise (so Saw II, III) and perhaps took notes on what attracts the majority of the public's attention ($$$). So, if I had to guess, we'll be seeing more exploited victims just to push the storyline of yet another Jigsaw. These dudes may be somewhat intelligent when it comes to making a profit, but telling a story? I mean, if you're hiring the writers of Sorority Row and Pirahna 3D.. I doubt you're that concerned about the story.

View user profile

20 Re: Info recap on 23/02/17, 08:56 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
IanGibbons wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:
Jigsaw_Expert wrote:

Right. I doubt they'll learn their lesson, nor do I expect them to. From my perspective, Burg/Koules and company are just looking to stick their foot back into the water to earn back some relevance. That "relevance" being $$$. If I were to guess, from their point-of-view, they looked at the most successful entries in the franchise (so Saw II, III) and perhaps took notes on what attracts the majority of the public's attention ($$$). So, if I had to guess, we'll be seeing more exploited victims just to push the storyline of yet another Jigsaw. These dudes may be somewhat intelligent when it comes to making a profit, but telling a story? I mean, if you're hiring the writers of Sorority Row and Pirahna 3D.. I doubt you're that concerned about the story.

Gregg Hoffman deserves a lot of credit for identifying Saw as the next big thing, he was right on the money. Koules and Burg also deserve credit for keeping it going and attaching some talented yet fairly unknown people to the franchise. I do think money is of course the major factor for them continuing the franchise, but I also do think they legitimately have a lot of fun making them and coming up with these crazy storylines. I just frankly don't think their ideas are very good, and I wish they gave the creative core behind the series a bit more freedom in that sense. Maybe they got cold feet after they did so with Saw III and let them essentially sabotage the long term viability of their own franchise, as cool as it was. VI managed to be a very good movie despite being sandwiched between the worst of the franchise, likely because Kevin Greutert gave it everything he had and fought for his ideas, which were very good indeed. Hopefully he gets to do just as much or more from here on out. I strongly suspect he has a shot at directing a hypothetical future installment if he's editing this one, which hopefully would grant him a lot more creative control.

21 Re: Info recap on 23/02/17, 09:32 am

Jigsaw_Expert

Just woke up here
Just woke up here
Does anyone know what the deal is with the Spierg Brothers directing this? I enjoyed Daybreakers and thought Predestination was great, but why would they agree to direct Saw 8? I'm glad they were able to attach very talented directors to this but they don't strike me as the sort of guys who would find the Saw films enticing. Maybe they were fans of the original series or at least the original film but I cant help but feel they were perhaps roped into directing this. Daybreakers was also distributed by Lionsgate, I just wonder if maybe it was a multi-picture deal.

After their choice of writers the choice of directors really is the only thing that gives me hope for this.

View user profile

22 Re: Info recap on 23/02/17, 09:56 am

Vinc360

Admin
Admin
Jigsaw_Expert wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the Spierg Brothers directing this? I enjoyed Daybreakers and thought Predestination was great, but why would they agree to direct Saw 8? I'm glad they were able to attach very talented directors to this but they don't strike me as the sort of guys who would find the Saw films enticing. Maybe they were fans of the original series or at least the original film but I cant help but feel they were perhaps roped into directing this. Daybreakers was also distributed by Lionsgate, I just wonder if maybe it was a multi-picture deal.

After their choice of writers the choice of directors really is the only thing that gives me hope for this.

Predestination certainly has some similarities with Saw, especially the focus on its twist ending. I actually think they're a really promising choice for a Saw movie. Also, it's important to remember that the Saw movies are actually independently made. Lionsgate distributes them, but they're not made in-house. Twisted Pictures wholly owns the series, so I doubt Lionsgate would be able to force a director choice. I think it's likely that Burg, Koules, or one of the Lionsgate producers watched Predestination and contacted them. I'm pretty sure James and Leigh also knew them personally, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum